Union Plus Scholarship Program
Since 1992, the Union Plus Scholarship Program has awarded more than $3.6 million to students of working families who want to begin or continue their post-secondary education. Over 2,400 families have benefited from our commitment to higher education. The Union Plus Scholarship Program is offered through the Union Plus Education Foundation.
See eligibility in the purple tab below.
Outstanding Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to the 2014 scholarship winners. This year, 116 union members and union family members have been awarded $150,000 in scholarships, ranging from $500 to $4,000. Listen to the story of the 2010 Union Plus Scholarship Video Contest Winner.
The students selected for university, college, trade school or technical scholarships represent a wide sampling of backgrounds, union affiliations, goals and accomplishments. The selection process is very competitive since we receive over 5,000 applications each year.
This is a competitive scholarship. Applicants are evaluated according to academic ability, social awareness, financial need and appreciation of labor. A GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended.
The required essays can account for up to half your total score.
Scholarship applicants are judged by a committee of impartial post-secondary educators.
A complete application must be received on or before 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Saturday, January 31, 2015. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
Scholarship Award Amounts:
Amounts range from $500 to $4,000. These one-time cash awards are for study beginning in the Fall of 2015. Students may re-apply each year.
The Scholarship Committee will determine recipients of scholarship awards by May 31 each year. During the first two weeks of June award recipients will be individually notified by mail, and all applicants will be sent an email with notification that the award list is posted at UnionPlus.org/Scholarships. Please note that due to the volume of applications we cannot provide any information on the status of an application before award announcements are made.
- Current and retired members of participating unions, their spouses and their dependent children (as defined by IRS regulations). At least one year of continuous union membership by the applicant, applicant’s spouse or parent (if applicant is a dependent). The one year membership minimum must be satisfied by May 31, 2015.
- Participating union members from the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada are eligible. But students must attend an U.S. accredited college.
- Union members do not have to purchase any Union Plus program product or participate in any Union Plus programs to apply for the scholarships and scholarship awards are not based upon participation in a Union Plus program.
- The applicant must be accepted into a U.S. accredited college or university, community college or technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Awards must be used for the 2015 – 2016 school year.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
- Your application must be complete and received by 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Saturday, January 31, 2015.